One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy

One Week Girlfriend

Title: One Week Girlfriend
Author: Monica Murphy
Release Date: January 11, 2013
Source: An e-copy was sent by the author in exchange of an honest review
Temporary. That one single word best describes my life these last few years. I’m working at a temporary job until I can finally break free. I’m my little brother’s temporary mother since our mom doesn’t give a crap about either of us. And I’m that temporary girl all the guys want to get with because I give it up so easily. According to the rumors, at least.

But now I’m the temporary girlfriend of Drew Callahan, college football legend and all around golden guy. He’s beautiful, sweet—and he’s hiding way more secrets than I am. He’s brought me into this fake life where everyone seems to hate me. And everyone seems to want something from him. The only thing he seems to want though is…

Me.

I don’t know what to believe anymore. All I know is, I think Drew needs me. And I want to be there for him.

Forever.
THOUGHTS:

From the blurb alone, it's rather obvious that the plot of One Week Girlfriend will revolve around a secret. Truth be told, this novel's premise doesn't seem wholly unique either. Within the first few chapters, based from the words and actions of both Drew and another character, I had a pretty solid guess on just what he was hiding, and why he had Fable pretend to be his girlfriend. Moreover, I also had an inkling on what - if there was indeed another one - another plot twist may be. I have no idea if I was simply too perceptive, or maybe there were too many clues for me to put together, but I did guess Drew's secret early on. Irregardless however, I read this novel in one sitting. I didn't come up for air, and I just sat in my chair with my laptop in front of me and read the novel like there was no tomorrow. Why would I do that, you may ask. Why on earth would I still continue reading a novel that pretty much had no surprises left in store for me? Simple. The characters.

Both Fable and Drew left their marks on me. I thought that a novel with a plot we've all seen before wouldn't bring forth gripping characters, but I couldn't be more wrong. Every word, every look, every action - every single thing Fable and Drew do, simply put - served as windows to their souls, windows to their true selves that both of them were just too keen on keeping secret. Every page was filled with their raw emotions - emotions they were too afraid to share; and yet they were practically begging for each other to take notice, and I couldn't find myself looking away. I wanted to know more about them. I had to know how their story ended, I had to know whether or not they can help fix each other.

I do wish I could have gotten to know Fable better. Readers do get to know her plenty, but this character has so much depth, and I feel that I've barely scratched the surface. She's so strong, being the only one keeping her family intact, yet at the same time it's so obvious that she needs time for herself and that she needs someone to lean on. Fable is a character that I would have no problem reading about again and again - I want to know more about her relationships with those around her, and most especially, I want to see her continued journey of finding herself.

The connection between Drew and Fable was just so apparent - their chemistry was practically palpable! Their relationship may have started as an elaborate charade, but it was obvious early on that nothing about what they felt for each other was fake. For so long, they've been believing that they only had themselves to rely on, and that took its toll on them - on Drew especially - but they were what exactly each other needed. Moreover, I loved that Drew and Fable never judged each other throughout the course of the novel. Fable had this reputation preceding her while Drew was practically bursting from the seams with secrets, but they never let those get in the way of how they treated each other.

Let me just throw it out there - after several revelations, an especially intense scene between Drew and Fable, we get a cliffhanger. And my god, I swear that cliffhanger came out of nowhere! The last few pages had me on the edge of my seat, fervently hoping for a happy ending, but alas, a cliffhanger surprised me instead. After the initial shock, I did come to realize that it simply isn't possible for two characters with so much to tell to get it all done within one novel, so right now, I'm just counting down the days before I finally get my hands on the sequel. Monica Murphy, if by any chance you get to read this, Marshmallow! I need that sequel ASAP!

Rating: 4 Stars

7 comments

  1. Great review! Sometimes the story just works, right? And you have fun reading it. I totally get it, and I love well-characterized stories so I'll be putting this one on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love love Drew and Fable - they're amazing characters, and they truly made the story work!

      Delete
  2. Wow, such a convincing and rave review! Putting it now in my TBR! Thanks, Ly! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Dianne! :)

      Delete
  3. I actually saw this on Amazon when I was browsing yesterday. I didn't think much of it at first glance. I really like the sound of this though. I don't read a lot of New Adult. Temptation, temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drew and Fable sound like really awesome people and I really hope I get to meet them soon! It's amazing when you can connect with the characters you are reading about. I'm glad you enjoyed On Week Girlfriend. Awesome review, Lyra! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete

I looooove reading comments, so do know that I read every single one of them. Also, if you're a new follower, let me know so I can check out your blog!