The Selection by Kiera Cass

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with
Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then
America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


THOUGHTS:

If you're looking for a book that will haunt your mind days after you read it, put The Selection down - this book isn't for you. However, if you're looking for a light, simple read, prepare to finish this book in one sitting.

Upon reading the book blurb of The Selection, the first thing that came to my mind was the reality show The Bachelor. The premise is pretty similar, except for the fact that this book is set in a world where the USA is no more and a modernized caste system is back in action instead of a big mansion in the middle of some city. (Yes, Prince Maxon's search for the love of his life is also televised!) The heroine, America Singer, is a relatively poor girl who doesn't even want to compete for Prince Maxon's heart to begin with, because her heart belongs to a servant named Aspen. Things don't really go America's way for lo and behold, America is Selected!

America came into the competition thinking that Prince Maxon is a self-obsessed jerk, but she gradually realizes that he's the exact opposite. The relationship - the build-up to a relationship, rather - between America and Maxon is what I liked most about this book. I've seemingly read dozens upon dozens of YA books where the hero and heroine realize that they can't live without each other after only a few chapters, but in The Selection, America and Maxon's relationship is fleshed out. I particularly enjoyed their private conversations and their banter, and the readers can truly see how the two's friendship progressed to something more.

The readers are left hanging upon the book's ending, so don't expect to read a concluded story. Sigh. I hope that Cass reveals more about the world she built, and continues all those storylines that she's been hinting at during the course of The Selection, in the sequel which is due out sometime next year.

Overall, I enjoyed reading The Selection. It's a fun, light read, and I recommend it to those who want to shut everything out even just for a little while. This book is the perfect escape from the real world and all the problems it has to offer, so why not read it?

Rating: 4 stars

14 comments

  1. Light reads always make me feel at ease and ready to put a huge smile on my face :) Great review! Looking forward to reading about America and Maxon's relationship for myself!

    -Alicia
    bookaworld.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoy light reads myself - reading thought-provoking books does get tiring after a while.

      America and Maxon's relationship was definitely my favorite part of the book - let me know what you think! :)

      Delete
  2. It sounds like the perfect summer read, but I'm a little wary because I've heard mixed thoughts, and after all that drama went down with the author and agent, I'm even more reluctant, but it's on my Kindle and I really want to form my own opinion. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes, I've read about the whole controversy, but try to give the book a chance. As I've said, it's a fun read, and I think you'll enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh well, I guess I won't get my hopes up... I just bought The Selection and I couldn't resist flipping to the back. And how America was so wishywashy between the two guys made me put this book on hold :/ But, I think I'll like Maxon and America's relationship :)

    Lovely review, I like your style ;)

    Grats on your first post, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lowering my expectations actually made me appreciate the book more - America gets more likeable midway through the story, so do give the book a shot. Maxon and America's relationship definitely kept me reading as well. ;)

      Thank you, that means a lot. :) I never thought blogging about books would be this fun!

      Delete
  4. I must say, I'm feeling more inclined to read this book now that you've described it as more of a light read! The story sounds cool and I'm liking the fact that you mentioned that the relationship between America and Maxon was built upon gradually, because it really gets old reading about couples instantly falling in love with eachother for no apparent reason!

    Lovely review--very honest! =D

    -Shanon @ Escaping With Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shanon!

      I loved the build up to America and Maxon's relationship - I hope you will too. Let me know! :)

      Delete
  5. i am not a fan of the selection from kiera cass..
    bu i do hope america will choose the prince...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I like this book a lot. I hope America chooses Maxon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I'll like this one. The names alone are really turning me off. Glad you liked it, though. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my next read when I finish Ink. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a fun read. great review! It reminded me of the Bachelor too! I was shocked when she said she had never heard of the show before this was published.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i will go find this book to read more

    ReplyDelete

I looooove reading comments, so do know that I read every single one of them. Also, if you're a new follower, let me know so I can check out your blog!