Storm (Elementals #1) by Brigid Kemmerer


Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her, Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys - the ones she doesn't want.  Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water - just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.
 
When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all...





THOUGHTS:

Fine, I'll admit it - I initially read this book because I found out that it was the first in a series that centered on the lives of four brothers (Chris, Gabriel, Nick and Michael) who can control the elements. Yes, you read that right - this book has FOUR BROTHERS in it, and they have powers! If that doesn't even pique your interest in the slightest, I honestly have no idea what will. 

But hey, let me get this straight - I'm not saying that the book centers on the brothers being hot or anything like that. This book is AMAZING. It has a great plot, characters with depth and emotional background stories, intense action scenes, and of course, like any other first book in a series, this book brings forth a lot of questions - some get answered, but some don't.. yet. Moreover, this book gradually introduced us to the budding relationship between Becca and Chris - their relationship was fleshed out, and I really like how they didn't fall in 'can't live without you' in love after the first few chapters. We really need more of these relationships in YA, don't you guys think so?
  
Anyway, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect when I started reading Storm. Yes, I did expect that the four brothers would all be hot (come on, don't tell me you didn't), but I certainly didn't expect them to have so much more going on for them. I didn't expect to like the brothers for who they are, hotness aside. I didn't expect to feel sorry for Michael whenever his brothers treated him with disrespect; I didn't expect to empathize with Chris whenever his need to belong was highlighted; I didn't expect to adore the relationship Nick and Gabriel had with each other, and last but definitely not the least, I didn't expect my chest to tighten whenever Becca was bullied or to feel proud whenever Becca stood up for herself. Simply put, I didn't expect to feel so many things while reading this book. 

Becca. Yes, the brothers made Storm interesting, but Becca was the heart and soul of the book. The way Brigid Kemmerer portrayed her through moments when she had to toughen things out, stand her ground, and protect herself was downright realistic. I also loved it when Becca stood up to the brothers instead of cowering in fear - we don't see that enough in YA books.  I truly felt like Becca was a good friend all throughout reading the book - that's how real her character was.

All in all, if it isn't that obvious from my gushing, I loved this book - though I found some plot twists a little predictable - and I can't wait until the next book in the series comes out!


Rating: 4 Stars

8 comments

  1. I read this book, too, a while ago, and it was really good, right? I didn't empathize with the characters as much as you did, but Storm definitely did evoke a lot of emotions, and Becca was one kick-butt character. I don't want to read Spark, though, because I don't want to let go of Chris and Becca, since they're companion novels and each novel features a different brother's story. Great review!

    Eileen @ ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was REALLY good!

      I feel the same way you do - I feel like there's so much more to discover about Chris and Becca. I can't help but get excited for Gabriel's story though! ;)

      Delete
  2. I agree that it will be sad to let go of Becca and Chris but I'm hoping for enough cameo appearances in Spark to satisfy my need...fingers crossed!! Garbriel was hot though so I think I can handle reading his story! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to read Gabriel's story as well! ;)

      Delete
  3. Haha, I hear you. I bought this book for the cover (no shame LOL) but I have been hearing that the Merrick brothers really tug on the heart strings because they are great characters. I actually am starting this book either today or tomorrow. SO glad to hear you enjoyed it! Great review, Lyra :)

    Oooo, and I see you are reading Sweet Evil. Loved that book so much. Kai *le sigh* :D

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought for sure that the Merrick brothers were only hot and nothing else, but I sure am glad to be mistaken! ;) Thanks, Jennifer!

      Delete
  4. I have this book just sitting on my shelf but it's definitely the next book I'm reading! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a great book - I think you'll definitely enjoy it! :)

      Delete

I looooove reading comments, so do know that I read every single one of them. Also, if you're a new follower, let me know so I can check out your blog!